Since the start of the Covid 19 induced lockdowns around the world I have seen quite a few musical and choir related projects come by on my Facebook feed. Groups of musicians or singers all contributing their bit to the carefully mixed and arranged compositions that those with the digital know how have been able to mix and balance into impressive unity despite the geographical spread of the participants. A classic case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.
I too work with groups of creative enthusiasts, both children and adults and these musically combined performances set me thinking about trying something similar in my field of the visual arts. The group of adults that I support with assignments and ideas seemed to be the most obvious place to give my own fairly modest ideas a try.
They are a very social group of people who miss their chance to paint and share life once a week. The club’s app group has been very active during the lockdown and the project I had in mind would work well using that platform.
The initial idea was quite simple, using the reference point of a seventeenth century Dutch still life we would try and compose our own still life with everyone contributing something that could be digitally added to the group composition. The only guidelines I gave were that the objects could be modern or older if they wished and they had to make a simple shaded drawing using just a pencil.
The drawings started to roll in via the app group and I set about contructing an arrangement that gave them all a chance to be seen. Gradually the enthusiasm for the working together nature of our little project grew, with me posting regular progress up dates.
I’d seen enough to see another, perhaps better possibility, we could move on to a Dutch flower painting as inspiration.
This time I’d provide the vase and the rest of the group the flowers. The drawings streamed in, again just in pencil to help with the overall unity of the image. For the digital assemblage the flower arrangement gave more scope for adjustments and moving things round and in the end it was possible to fill the vase with a huge number of diverse flowers.
A this stage I’m not quite sure what the follow up will be. But I think there has to be one.